Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A silent prayer.

When was the last time I had a tension-free life? The correct answer- Never! Not even for, maybe, a single day! Maybe the simple reason is- I enjoy being under stress and taking tension! There is a strange insecurity in me the moment I feel, I have nothing to worry about...almost makes me feel that something gravely wrong is around the corner! But is it so simple to be tension free? Or am I just insane or a maniac to keep worrying?

Well, I have a son, he goes to a school which costs a bomb, his one year fees is equivalent to my entire 4 yr degree education! I have a loan on my house which scalps so much out of my salary, that the savings account looks "mean" and "thin" after every 10th of the month! My loving dear car not only puts a big hole in my saving's account every month, it also makes an equally big hole in my wallet in the form of petrol bills, this only gets aggravated with the disgusting passion I have for driving and road-trips! (I used to say- "if there is a road which leads to a place, then let's drive there!" Damned Me!). Now being a Bengali costs a lot! I mean, how many people you know who needs non-veg atleast twice a day. I won't complain if I get it 4 times a day!! And in Bangalore where vegetables/non-veg prices compete with the gold/silver rates in the country, I can imagine how my savings account gets raped every single day! Btw, any loving husband in today's generation cannot say no to a couple of "maids" who should keep our home clean, can they? So, there goes the remaining part of the salary, along with your mental peace on those days when the maids are on unannounced leave and the wifey dear has to do all the household work during the day (which makes her miss the repeated telecast of the soaps which she has already watched the previous evening!). In the end, "savings" is just an aesthetically crafted word, which gets pushed every month to the next month, with the hope that next month it would become a reality and the "account" would have some remnants!

Now, when your company all of a sudden announces that the company has decided to become "leaner" and "meaner" which in simple words mean "job cuts", what do you do? If they also say that managers might be the people who gets affected more than Engineers and you happen to be the former, what do you do? If you have worked your butts off every single day in the current yr and in the process have rubbed a few bosses on their wrong sides who might have a say in the final list, what do you do? And if this instability of job keeps haunting you every 6-12 months in your company regularly, that too, whenever you are due for a good hike or a promo, what do you do? What the heck, if all the MNCs of today go thru' reorgs like half-yr anniversaries, then what do you do!!

I keep it simple! I worry, I get tensed and I try to keep it all myself. And just like another day, I go home, spend some time with my kid (which is the best stress-buster in life), then play a couple of badminton games (second best stress-buster), talk to my wife abt the nothings of the day while having dinner and finally sleep off, after saying a silent prayer- "Thank you, God, for everything!!"

What would you have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment